Insalata Mista, (meaning mixed salad in Italian) most often refers to a bed of arugula layered with fresh vegetables. This particular version of this salad is made with grape tomatoes, pine nuts, shaved parmesan and then tossed with balsamic.
What I love about this salad is that it can also include carrot, radish, cucumber and more!
This Insalata Mista is inspired by one of our favorite local St. Louis eateries – Katie’s Pizza and Pasta. You’ll find similar versions at Italian restaurants around the world, but this one will always be my favorite!
- 4 cup mixed greens
- 2 ounces parmesan shaved
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add mixed greens.
- In a jar with a lid, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Shake vigorously.
- Toss dressing with salad.
- Add in parmesan, tomatoes and pine nuts.
Variations and Substitutions:
- Add radish, shaved carrots, red onion or cucumbers to the salad.
- Substitute mixed greens with arugula, romaine, bibb, even endive.
- Substitute parmesan with goat cheese or blue cheese.
- Substitute pine nuts with toasted walnuts or pecans.
- For even more flavor, add 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves.
How to Store:
- Room temperature – You can leave this salad out at room temperature for up to two hours while serving.
- Refrigerate – This fresh salad will store in the refrigerator for up to two days. However, the lettuce will get soggier over time; if possible, separate the arugula from the dressing and store in air tight containers to enjoy the leftovers.